The Swimming Pool
The pool is tested before opening
The first successful attempt to build a swimming pool saw the opening of the pool in 1963. Previous attempts resulted in “Matthew’s Folly”, so called after the then Director of Larch Hill, Mr. Nicholas Matthews, who undertook the ill-fated venture during the 1940’s.
The main architect of the successful attempt was Cyril Keogh of the 47th Dublin (Clogher Road). For many years Troops from Saint Patrick’s area had been excavating and wall building and in autumn of 1962 it was decided that thesupreme effort would be made and a pool would be opened for the 1963 camping season. The task was complete due to some heavy duty equipment provided by Ronnie Watt of the 13th Dublin (Rathfarnham).
While Cyril Keogh was the driving force and the equipment provided by Ronnie Watt did make completion of the task possible others who provided a major contribution were, Michael Redmond, Paudge O Broin, Steve Donohue, Sean and Frank Mooney, Mick Heffernan, Marty Dawson, Jimmy Whelan and the Scouters of Saint Patrick’s area especially Myles Nolan.
2nd Cork (Saint Finbarr’s) enjoy a meal at larch Hill during the 1966 Melvin Cup, the 2nd Cork went on to win the trophy that year.
A Macaoimh Pack from Donnycarney Dublin give one of their number the birthday bumps at larch Hill in 1963.